Evelyn & Alex have spent their careers caring for vulnerable populations. They have worked in abundant low resource settings and realize the importance of addressing social determinants of health as part of basic medical care.
To bring services into areas of unmet need in a manner that is dignified and empowering. To right social and health injustices.
What We've Achieved
- Alexander Wu has practiced full-spectrum family medicine and promoted social justice since 1992.
- Evelyn Figueroa has practiced full-spectrum family medicine and advocated for human rights since 1999.
- The Figueroa Wu Family founded the UIC Social Justice Fund in 2015.
- Evelyn has been an AIDS Run & Walk Chicago Superstrider for over a decade and has raised over $30,000 for the AIDS Foundation of Chicago.
- Evelyn completed a service work and supply coordination trip to post-Maria Puerto Rico in November 2017 that delivered over $20,000 in medications and supplies to individuals and communities in extreme need.
- Evelyn founded the UI Health Pilsen Food Pantry in Chicago, IL, 2018. This pantry will be open to all in the community and, 2019, will study improved health and social outcomes as a result of improved nutrition.